Some of you will have noticed some changes to the club calendar, which are designed to make it more reliable and secure. Quite a number of you have already navigated your way with the new calendars in the days since the changes went live. Things have seemingly been working smoothly and I’m not aware of any operational issues. But if you encounter an issue then I’d be very pleased to hear about it.
The changes are:
- Club events which book the lawns are now all in ‘full green’, and are set up by the club committee, with sign-ups enabling members to register for them. Club events are club sessions and home matches. We have tried to choose colours which work well for normal sighted and CVD users.
- Personal bookings are introduced in two new calendars (one for each lawn) and now in a grey-green. All members can make personal bookings. The slightly different colours also means you can spot personal bookings easily.
- Maintenance is unchanged and White lining should still be booked and entered at the time it is going to be done.
- Other events is now committee meetings, away matches and other activities – and which do not require a lawn allocation.
In terms of why we’ve made these changes. They will:
- Stop email addresses of members being exposed to public users in the sign-ups for events
- Prevent club sessions being inadvertently edited by members trying to sign-up to a session
- Still enable team captains from other clubs to see match fixtures on our calendar
The calendar has two limitations which I would draw to your attention:
- We cannot stop overlapping events as the system is quite clever enough for that. So we can end up with a personal booking accidently overlapping a maintenance session or club event.
- If you need to make an a full day booking there is an option to do that. However, since these aren’t very obvious (they’re posted right at the top of the day they apply to) there have been some overbookings made on top of all day bookings. I would therefore suggest avoiding using the all-day bookings option, but rather make a booking from 9-18 or 9-21 or whatever is required as that will be clearer that the lawns are not available.
I hope everything continues to work smoothly for you.